Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Tahoma Student Tributes to Life-Changing Teachers

As a follow-up to last week’s blog post about the traits of life-changing teachers, this week we are featuring the results of a Google survey we did at the four Tahoma secondary schools. This survey asked students to tell us about life-changing teachers—those teachers who made school feel like a place students wanted to be, who served as a role model, or who changed the student in some way.  

Watch next week for lots more.  And, please encourage your students to take the survey at  https://goo.gl/7aAS3H.  Here are some directions for your screen.

Renee Stroup -- TMS -- This teacher respects and is kind to everyone she meets at school; she never shows attitude. She reminds her students very often to be kind, work hard and to try new things. She serves as my role model because her attitude towards learning and people is extremely influential and positively impacts her students.


Matt Tucker -- THS -- Throughout the years I have struggled in English and my confidence in writing has been low. Teachers have always made writing stressful and dull. That is exactly what I was thinking Mr Tucker was going to do in the beginning of the year. I couldn't have been more wrong, Mr Tucker made writing not only fun but stress free as well. I never seen a teacher that not only cares about our accuracy but the stress that an essay can bring to a student. An example of this is he always gives us second chances with making improvements on our writing even after we turn the essay in. He will give a student that is struggling individual attention. This teacher truly cares about his students and their grades.


Joven Bills -- CRMS -- Mr.Bills was the highlight of my 7th grade year because he made every class a joy. He even made test days fun. His simulations literally put history into action and showed us what it was truly like to live in those specific time periods. He was an overall great teacher and an even better guy and he makes me want to become a history teacher in my future.

Traci Cline -- TMS -- She helped me push through my work that I struggled with and she is the reason why I love science.

Jen Hassman --TJH -- Senora! You made me get passionate about Spanish. I remember back to the first day of first-year Spanish when you assigned saying "muddy muddy muddy" as tarea. I was so lucky to have you for 2 years as a teacher. You made me excited about school and I am so excited to be at the same campus again!

Jami Suhoversnik -- THS -- Math has never been a subject that I have excelled in, or even looked forward to for that matter. However, since being in Ms.S´s class, I have actually improved in my understanding of the subject, and I actually enjoy going to her class! She is so encouraging and treats everyone as her kids. I appreciate so much about her, and she has truly served as a role model for me. So thank you, Ms.S.

Branda Almli -- TMS -- I was going through a tough time at home and Mrs.Almli helped me get in a safe place and still helps we with emotional support. I still ask her for help even though the main storm has passed.

Dan Kelly -- CRMS -- He made school fun and he was more than a teacher. At lunch he would always let us go out and play games and he would play with us as well.

Kristen Vanhoomissen -- TJH -- Ms.Vanhoomisen was a very caring and positive teacher. She always made sure that you were okay if you felt down. Also whenever you struggled with math she'd slow down and help you one on one. She is overall a super great teacher.

Jane Magnan -- TMS -- She changed me in a positive way by helping me explore myself until I found out who I was. She helped me be more outgoing and willing to help others. She is a wonderful teacher who was caring and really wanted to get to know your students. I thank her for everything she has done.


Doug Marsh -- THS -- Senor Marsh has changed my life in many more ways then one. Even though Spanish is a difficult course, he has taught me dedication and commitment. Senor Marsh has taught me so many things that I sometimes take for granted and next year I will miss his class. I haven't met a teacher like him that puts so much time and effort into teaching and that I am grateful.

Chris Russell -- TJH -- He was really funny and fun to learn from. I feel like everyone who wasn't in his class, still liked him as a person. Overall cool teacher.

Sam Atkinson -- former teacher at TMS -- Mr. Atkinson was my science teacher in the 6th grade. He was great because he tweaked the curriculum in a way so we still. learned what we needed to learn but we were learning in a fun way and we retained the information

Renee Denny -- TJH -- I was in her weight room Bear Enrichment and in her PE class. When the boys were being obnoxious she would work out with me. We would talk and she actually took time to get to know me. It made the rest of my day better.

Jonell Hohn -- TMS -- Mrs. Hohn taught my English and social studies classes, which are my two least favorite classes. Somehow she made a class that I normally just try to get through into to a class that piqued my curiosity and made me want to write ad learn more about our past, which is big for me because that had never happened before.

Laurie Harrington -- CRMS -- She helped me after school. When she was talking about the wars, that’s when I realized how important history was. I hadn’t really thought about it before.


Martina Morgan -- THS -- She reminded me of the passion in learning, and inspired me to look into cultures and history beyond America. Since then I have been investing in world history and I've learned so much more than all the American history classes I've taken all through my life in public school, and I have never been more interested.

Lots more next week! Stay tuned :-).

















No comments:

Post a Comment